As Tall Son shares my aversion to clutter and kitsch and is a devout minimalist, I trust his design decisions, so sent this e-mail to him:
"What do you think of this one?" (I attached a photo of a new modern minimalist house, designed by a great architect; a photo I will not attach here, as I do not want someone to scoop the house out from under us.)
Tall Son responded:
"I like it but it lacks a few Southern touches:
- Stone hunting dogs flanking the entry way
- A two-foot rusty lone star over the front door.
- A junkyard sculpture of a longhorn in the front yard.
- Twin lazy boys in the living room facing a ten-foot TV tuned to college football.
- A pool table with a plastic Budweiser lampshade over it.
- A poster of a large-breasted bimbo in a bikini mounting a Harley in the garage (over the arc welder of course).
- A longhorn trophy over the TV that sings the "Yellow Rose of Texas" when you pull its tongue.
- Antlers mounted in every room for good measure.
- A flashing neon sign over the sound system that just reads "The King."
- Oh, and for the little lady: a velvet painting of young Elvis over the stove.
He loves the house!